Quiet Commute 101
Whether heading into work, going home after a long day at the office, or just looking for a relaxing ride, many of you enjoy a nice, quiet trip. That’s why NJ TRANSIT offers Quiet Commute on its rail service, putting the “mute” in your commute.
Designated Quiet Commute cars are available on all trains arriving at or departing from terminal stations on weekdays between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. based on the following criteria:
Trains To/From Newark Penn Station and Penn Station New York
- Northeast Corridor, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex and Montclair-Boonton lines:
- First and last open cars on all trains
- North Jersey Coast Line:
- First and last open cars on all trains except on connecting Bay Head shuttles to/from Long Branch, where the first open car at the front of the train is designated as the Quiet Commute car.
Trains To/From Hoboken Terminal
- Morris & Essex, Montclair-Boonton, Main/Bergen County, Port Jervis, Pascack Valley and North Jersey Coast lines:
- First open car traveling to Hoboken and last open car traveling from Hoboken.
Trains To/From Philadelphia 30th Street Station
- Atlantic City Line:
- First open car traveling to Philadelphia and last open car traveling to Atlantic City
What Else You Should Know
Quiet Commute seating is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. While traveling in these cars, please be considerate of others and observe the following guidelines:
- Disable the sound feature on your electronic devices.
- Refrain from cell phone use.
- Conduct conversations in subdued voices.
- Maintain a low headphone volume to avoid distracting other passengers.
If you need to have a conversation on your phone or with someone traveling with you in an elevated voice, please respect those around you and move to another car.
To learn more about Quiet Commute, click here. Thank you and enjoy your trip!